Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Oh, snap!

For Christmas, my mum gave me Giada's cookbook, Everyday Italian. I've made quite a few recipes since I got it, but the one for risotto is one I have been putting off since I found it. Risotto is an Italian classic, but it is also, unlike many other Italian dishes, notoriously difficult to make.

I don't want to sound like I know a lot about the topic, but a simple explanation of risotto is that it is Arborrio rice that is cooked very slowly. One of the keys to making it is to add the liquid very slowly; something about this process does something to the shell of the rice grains. Whatever happens, risotto is supposed to be really creamy and soft, and once you've made the basic recipe there are bagillions of variations. The thing is, if you add the liquid too quickly, it turns pasty instead of creamy, too slowly and you didn't add it fast enough; it can end up chalky, chewy, rubbery. Any number of factors can cause all of these occurrences.

Whatever; I finally tried it. The Jordan was integral to its completion, I have to say; he stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred. And it was DELICIOUS! I'm going to try making some variations, which I'll post here if they are good. You can find any standard risotto recipe online, so I'm not going to copy Giada's unless someone asks for it. I'm super glad I tried it, and you should try it too!

If anyone has any risotto tips or advice, I'd love to hear them!

Peace, love, and creamy-ricey-sidedish goodness,
Kim

1 comment:

mama-lady said...

Kim,
My father-in-law makes killer risotto with shrimp!