Friday, June 13, 2008

Just in case...

You guys thought I was just dorky for crocheting, I also collect antique books. Because I haven't cooked anything super-cool or exciting lately, I thought I'd share a recipe from one of my old, old cookbooks. While I haven't had a chance to actually try making any recipes from this book, some of them actually sound good. This one, however, totally does not. From the chapter titled "The Sick Room," here is the recipe for Beef Tea.

Cut a pound of lean, fresh beef into small pieces; put the meat in a bottle and cork tightly; place in a kettle of water and allow to boil one hour or more; take out the bottle an strain the essence of the beef into a bowl; season slightly for a sick person.

So I'm not really sure what about this is good for a sick person. Unless it's like beef bullion? Or maybe the grossness of it was supposed to scare faking-it children out of bed.

If you are wondering how old this antique book is, here is the bibliographic information, although not formatted properly or anything (yep - I'm in library school, in case you missed it.):

The Practical Receipt Book by Experienced Housekeepers
Compiled and Revised by the Ladies of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Titusville, PA
Third Edition, 1891

"Good cooking means economy and enjoyment;
Bad cooking means waste of money, time and temper."

Peace, love, and hella-old books,
Kim

No comments: