Monday, May 19, 2008

Someone actually requested a recipe...

And I feel special!

This recipe, which I call "Slaw Stew," is cheap, easy, and delicious (if my Jordan were writing this, he might say, "Sounds like my ex-wife," a joke which will never get old). Slaw Stew comes from my boss at the flower shop, Claire. Claire and I tell people she's my aunt, because that's 84,000 times easier than our real relation, which is that she is my mum's ex-husband's step-cousin. So, Aunt Claire it is! Anyway, when it's slow at the shop, Claire tells me recipes that her hella-Italian grandma used to make. This, apparently, is very similar to one. I hope you like it!

Take about a pound of lean ground beef. Brown and crumble it in your soup pot and drain it.
Throw in an onion, chopped (I used Vidalia) and 3 or 4 cloves of garlic.
Add some EVOO (that's Extra Virgin Olive Oil to those of you who don't know Rachel. As in Ray.) so it doesn't scorch.
Now cook that stuff until everything gets a little soft looking.
Now you'll want 1 or 2 of those small bags of broccoli slaw mix; throw those in the pot too.
Take two cans of stewed tomatoes (I used one big and one regular sized) and dump those in, juice and all. Fill each can halfway with water and add that, too.
I mixed up 3 cups of beef bullion and added those, too, because my stew was super dry, but just eyeball yours.
Now put the lid on and turn down the heat. Let it simmer until everything is soft - about 2 hours.

I served this with some garlic bread and fried zucchini and also passed grated Parmesan to sprinkle in the soup. DELICIOUS!

And for you crazy vegetarians or *gasp* vegans, I feel confident that this would be equally kickass with tofu meat.

This makes wonderful leftovers, so it's totally cool if you live by yourself or if you're the only one that eats this kind of stuff. Make a pot on Sunday, and you'll have lunch all week!

No comments: