Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rather than pay my Citi bill...

I thought I'd throw another blog out. Because, really, who wants to pay a credit card bill when they could talk about food?

So at Cosco they sell these rotisserie chickens, which are something like three pounds, for $6, I think? Anyway, they're super cheap and super good and we get them all the time. The only thing is, you can only eat chicken with cream sauce over toast (another favorite from my mum's childhood) so many times. So I have developed a mean chicken salad to use up some of the chicken. It's all very approximate and customizable.

Homemade Chicken Salad
Take some chicken and cut it up into itty bitty pieces (or if you like chunky chicken salad leave it bigger). Then take some onion and celery (to taste) and cut them up even smaller. Throw that stuff in a bowl along with some Worcestershire sauce . I happen to love mayo (it is clearly the best condiment), so I throw in a lot of it. If you like dryer chicken salad, use less. I also throw in about a tablespoon of sour cream. It gives a little extra something to the taste.

Now for seasoning: I like to put in some dried dill and a few shakes of salt and pepper. Penzey's makes these great spice blends, so I use those a lot (for everything - check them out sometime!). My current favorite for chicken salad is called Sandwich Sprinkle. Stir it all together, add more mayo or seasonings, and put it on some bread or Triscuts. And that's it! It keeps well in a tightly sealed container, but I don't know for how long. Sorry, kids. But it will probably be gone before you need to worry about that anyway!

Also, my mom bought this AMAZING pineapple (also at Cosco), so I thought I'd also give you a super easy pineapple recipe that you can take to picnics and parties that looks fancy, tastes delicious, and takes pretty much no time to make.

Red Pineapple
Take a pineapple. Cut the core out and clean it all up, then cut it into chunks. Put it into a container that you can seal. Now take a packet of Jell-o powder and sprinkle it over the top of the pineapple. Put on the lid and stick the whole thing in the fridge for a few hours. Before you take it to wherever you are going, stir it around. The Jell-o should be evenly distributed and syrupy. Enjoy! We generally use cherry or strawberry Jell-o because it looks pretty and tastes YUMMY, but lime is also okay. If you try any other flavors, let me know!

Peace, love, and happy picnicking,
Kim

No comments: