Friday, July 18, 2008

Kegger at my house!

'Cause my parents are going on vacation!

Har har, I'm so kidding. I mean, La and Buddy really are going to Myrtle Beach, but I'm not having a kegger. Nor really doing much of anything, actually. Except cooking, of course!

So it should come as no surprise that I buy cooking magazines with frequency; I recently bought Paula Deen's magazine. La was looking through it and found this AMAZING sounding recipe that's actually super simple. SO. Here's what we had for dinner tonight (as a special dinner since the parents are leaving in the morning. Er. In about four hours.

Anyway, baked potatoes. Broccoli. Caramelized onions (FOUR sweet onions, sliced thin and cooked in only 2 tablespoons of butter). Steaks, with Gorgonzola butter. Sweet Hilton Head wine. Juicy pluots (plum + apricot).

Oh, man.

Buddy, picky as he is, was actually a huge fan of the Gorgonzola butter. And the pluots, even though he allegedly hates apricots. He really liked the butter, though; even though it sounds like a bad idea - I mean, ruin a steak by putting butter on it? But no.

The sweetness of the onions combines with the creamy, saltiness of the cheese; they both offset the simply seasoned steak (just a little Montreal Steak Seasoning) and pull out all this great, simple, smoky flavor from it. So good. And? The Jordan helped a lot. Again! He is just a wonderful boy, you know?

Anyway, I'll be making some pretty cool stuff this week, and I'll post the recipes if ya'll want them. I'm going to a picnic tomorrow and making Curried Nuts and Chicken Spread. And, because I'll be wanting lots of leftovers this week, Knocks'n'Brats Stoup, a RR concoction that is good, hearty, and cheap.

Peace, love, and Vidalia onions,
Kim

PS: The Gorgonzola butter? Take half a cup of softened butter (one stick) and stir in three (3) tablespoons of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese. Once it's all mixed in, stick it in the fridge. Take a dollop and put it on something - a steak, a potato, some bread, your finger. WHATEVER, it'll taste good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, Kim--
I might have to invite myself to dinner! I'll help cook, even. Yes, to your offer of sharing your recipe box! I have done so little real cooking over the past couple of years due to being a student. "The Alan" does most of the cooking these days--thank goodness he can cook! Remind me to tell you about the suckling pig we fixed at Christmas.